Read the latest news on the coronavirus outbreak here:
- This is the situation of COVID-19 today on Sunday on the Balearic Islands: 1,293 ( + 22 ) infections, 461 cured (+39) and 75 (+4) deaths..Patience intensive care 120..
- Life on Coronavirus Lockdown in Mallorca
- Life on Coronavirus Lockdown in Mallorca another 21 Days !
Sorce: photographer Thomas Reiner
- BREAKING NEWS!!! The ALARM STATE period has been EXTENDED until 26th April !!!The President of the Government, after holding a meeting with the scientific committee, has decided that we all must make an extra effort and remain at home until the date stated.
The president will explain this decision to all citizens at about 03.00 pm. You will be able to watch it live in the main Spanish channels or on FB;
- New infections with corona virus decrease dramatically in the Balearic Islands
- This is the situation of COVID-19 today on Saturday on the Balearic Islands: 1,271 ( + 14 ) infections, 422 cured (+47) and 71 (+2) deaths..Patience intensive care 114..
- Balearics one of the regions closest to control of the virus. While the number in the Balearics is below one, it isn’t in most of Spain.
- This is the situation of COVID-19 today on Friday in the Balearic Islands: 1,257 infections, 375 cured and 69 deaths. The positive factor is that the curve of active infections cases has dropped since last Tuesday.
Aquesta és la situació del COVID-19 avui divendres a les Illes Balears: 1.257 contagis, 375 curats i 69 morts. La dada positiva és que la corba de casos de contagis actius davalla des del passat dimarts.
— IB3 Notícies (@IB3noticies) April 3, 2020
- The number of infected with coronavirus rises to 73 in the Balearic Islands, 18 more than yesterday
- Spanish Transport Minister José Luis Ábalos has announced that the alarm situation across Spain is expected to last more than 15 days. Two weeks are not enough to defeat the virus.
- The city of Palma de Mallorca has announced that the city buses will run as usual on Monday (March 15th), however, it is not possible to pay with cash. The vacationers who are leaving the island and decide to take the bus to the airport do not have to buy a ticket as this way is FREE of charge.This is a protective measure, because paying with cash is no longer possible, and vacationers do not have a resident’s card.
- Ryanair announcement: In response to the decision of the Spanish Government to “lock down” the entire country to contain the spread of the Covid-19 virus, Ryanair Group Airlines (including Buzz and Lauda) has been forced to severely reduce flights to/from Spain, the Balearic Islands and Canary Islands from 24:00 Sun 15 Mar until 24:00 Thurs 19 Mar. We are contacting all affected customers by email to advise them of their options and we urge customers not to call us.
- The famous Spanish singer Miguel Ángel Rodríguez Jiménez (El Sevilla) has made a video of his arrival at Palma de Mallorca airport and published it on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
- 20:10 GMT: There are officially 6315 infected people in Spain, and the number of deaths has risen to 193, with 517 people already cured.
- The Spanish government is preparing to confine people to their houses, with the exception of travel to work and medical emergencies, in order to slow the spread of coronavirus (more informations)
- Patricia Gómez (Balearic Ministry of Health)
gives an overview of the spread of the pandemic in Mallorca, Ibiza, Menorca and Formentera. 44 people have been tested positive, which is 18 more than in the previous day.
- Jet 2 has cancelled all flights to Spain including to the Balearic and Canary Islands, with immediate effect, due to the #oronavirus outbreak. Some flights actually turned round mid-air this morning, including one from #Manchester which did a U-turn over France.. Jet2 flights to Spain turn around mid-flight as entire country readies for lockdown. Source: Independent.co.uk
— Jet2tweets (@jet2tweets) March 14, 2020
- In the Bay of Palma, the cruise ship with the Name “Mein Schiff 4″has to wait 24 hours before it is allowed to moor in the evening. The passengers should then be brought directly to the airport.
- 17:17 GMT: There are officially 4.334 infected people in Spain, and the number of deaths has risen to 122, with 193 people already cured.
- Ibiza, Benidorm and Majorca close ALL clubs and pubs in coronavirus lockdown as Spain declares state of emergency – Balaeric president Francina Armengol acknowledged the measures are “drastic” in a community where the “incidence is low” – 0.8 per cent of the total in Spain – but assured that, with them, the community would come out of the health crisis. Residents have been instructed to stay at home for the next 15 days. Source: The Sun
- The Spanish Government has finally decided to close the Balearic schools with approx. 165 thousand of non-university students and around 15 thousand from the UIB university school from next Monday 16th of March 2020 due to the coronavirus outbreak, after a few days of uncertainty. At the moment the classes will be suspended for 15 days and student travel tours will be suspended for two months. The teaching staff will have to go to the learning centres to guarantee distance learning for those students who have exams. The schools have been preparing already for a few days to face this certain situation. Although the temporary suspension of the classes has been set up for 15 days, the time could be reduced or expanded depending on the evolution of the spread of the coronavirus.
The government of Spain has announced a ban on cruise ship calls at Spanish seaports between March 13 and March 26, with a brief exemption for vessels disembarking passengers to return home. All passenger ships arriving from Italy – where a major outbreak is under way – are banned for the same period